Racist Slurs

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by miren, Jun 13, 2018.

1. miren

miren Registered User Member

Local Time:
    3:29 AM
    Boon:
  2. Hausofmiren
  3. Over my duration here at Boon, I have noticed that the N word has been censored. Rightly so! It's practising hate and encourages people to have a backwards view on minorities. When the word is put into context as a 'joke' you're still practising a word invented to ostracise a group and make them feel below you.

I have noticed that the racist P word has also been thrown around and not censored whatsoever. Both racist slurs isolate an ethnic minority and the word is used to degrade them. I think that the P word should be censored. Yes, most of the time it might be said in a 'jokingly' manner, but that word strengthen's ones bigotry and casual racism view. I have complained twice about the word being thrown and simply told to 'ignore' them. I don't think that is right. Furthermore, your rules state that the usage of inappropriate language and overuse of foul language is an offence, yet little is done.

I know someone is going to reply, 'it's only a joke', but it wasn't a joke to use that word 100 years ago, and it shouldn't be taken light-heartedly. I don't think it's fair that many people of a certain race have to suffer with racial slurs being thrown around. And yes, some people of the ethnic minority might disagree with this and actually may use the word, but if so , they should be surely allowed to use the censored version of it, just like the N word.

4. Tranny

Tranny Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  5. Tranny
  6. amen x

miren likes this.
  7. pespidoge

pespidoge Habboon Staff Habboon Staff

Local Time:
    Boon:
  8. pespidoge
  9. Censorship is dangerous on the internet, because you don't want to play God and censor everyone's views, words and more. Doing this will only cause people to get angry and dislike the system you've built upon censorship but making it your own.

To avoid this on Habboon, users can create their own censorship. You're able to click a user and click ignore, which stops that user from ever being seen again. Yes, it doesn't solve the problem of "racism" or casualising the word, etc. But it allows you to not see it anymore, as you are offended where-as some others aren't. Habboon is a place for all voices and different types of humour, just find the people that fit yours.

It's a shame but it's the truth, if somebody jokes about it in their own living room - you wouldn't have to worry about it. Doesn't solve the problem, but it makes it less damaging.

EDIT: Also, from experience, all our staff members deal w/ this situation very fairly if reported instantly. We always allow users to fix their attitude after initially warning them, then muting them and if they continue - temporarily user ban.